Thursday, October 12, 2006

Relics, Time and Space

I was just downstairs in the Archives, and our archivist showed me the drawer of relics. (Why the relics live in a drawer in a filing cabinet, I do not know!)

He was looking for a special one, he said, and he pulled out one with documentation:

from the manger.


Are you kidding me?

So this afternoon, around 2pm, I kissed a little reliquary holding, as far as we know, a piece of the manger that our Lord lay on as a baby. Come on. I wish I had been kneeling in a chapel on Christmas, or somew place and time when I could at least pretend to contemplate and wrap my head around the significance of that moment. Rather, we were just standing in the archives of the Archdiocese of Washington under flourescent lights and surrounded by filing cabinets. I jumped up and down and said "Can I?!", took it in my hand and kissed it. How funny. Thank you, Baby Jesus, for such a totally unexpected gift!

---
Just realized last night at adoration... I read Dubay's book on poverty and was very affected by it, and the manger is a sign of Christ's utter poverty... ok then.

No comments: