Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Grad Ball 2005- Done!

Praise God, the graduation ball was last night, we survived, the band was incredible, and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Funniest, most ridiculous, most AMAZING display of stupidity or the fall:

I ordered the cake on Saturday. I wrote for the decorations to write, "Congratulations JPII Grads!" and said, (you can shorten to congrats if necessary). Picked it up at Costco yesterday morning, and there it is, a nice cake, that says "Congratulations JPII Grads! (You can shorter to congrats if necessary!)"

Are you kidding me?

I went up to one of the ladies in the bakery, in kind of a daze and on the verge of tears. "Excuse me? Um... Look. I obviously didn't want that written on the cake." She was not very nice, and said "There ain't nothin I can do 'bout that! Whatever you wrote on the sheet, that's what she wrote on the cake, and she ain't here now."

Cue the tears.

Ok, this is one thing that always annoyed me about my mom, and of course it has passed on to me. We cry. We can't help it, ok? I know it's not a big deal. I know it's HILARIOUS. And I was laughing really hard, but I was also crying. Because I wanted it to be nice for the 2nd years (last year, they MADE a wedding cake. 3 tiers, absolutely gorgeous. We went to costco, and this is what we ended up with??)

So there I am, standing in the bakery section of Costco, holding a cake and crying. Poor Drew (classmate and new daddy!) was there telling me it was fine, complaining about the work ethic of DC, how this would never happen in Colorado, etc. Then the other planner/shoppers there came over too, and just started laughing. Lots and lots of laughing. When the last girl arrived, she couldn't even breathe because she was laughing so hard. They showed the customer service lady, who also started laughing, and said she'd never seen anything like it, but there was really nothing they could do. It was just unbelievable. We decided to leave it that way, and joked about putting a sign that said, "Proof positive that Adam Smith was wrong."

So that's how the day began. It continued in very much the same way.

First, I broke one of my mother's bowls that she really likes.

Then, I was bringing one of the nice cakes over to the dessert table, tripped, and sent the cake sliding in the box, so that instead of a beautiful design of 4 white dollups with chocolate crumbs, they got a cake with a layer of whipped cream mixed with chocolate on top.

Hey humility! Where've you been all my life? I'm just thankful that it was our bowl, not anyone else's, and I didn't hurt anyone, and nothing was completely ruined. Humiliation without damage. That's fine with me.

No comments: